What is the first thing that comes to your mind when someone mentions the term Arthroplasty? Arthroplasty or in simple terms, knee replacement is a surgical procedure that is done to replace the weight-bearing surface of the knee joint to cure pain and disability. The process is generally performed in the case of osteoarthritis and also for psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. However, things don’t change all of a sudden after the surgery, and it takes some time to come back to normal. In this article, we will talk discuss some tips that one should follow for a smooth and quick recovery after arthroplasty surgery.
- Ask questions to your doctor: There is no such surgery in the world that doesn’t come with probable complications, and arthroplasty is no exception. Make sure that you get your queries addressed by the doctors and freely express your fears and concerns. Also, you must select the best hospital for knee replacement surgery in India.
- It’s very important to know what to expect after a knee replacement surgery: This one also applies to all the surgeries, but for a knee replacement surgery, you must be prepared for a few things which will come after the procedure. Don’t take the psychological load of walking with a cane or a crutch as those things are complimentary with a knee-related surgery. Your surgeon may suggest you spend some time in a rehabilitation facility to help you quickly pass the recovery process.
- Physical therapy plays a vital role: People typically begin their hunt for a physical therapist after the completion of the surgery procedure. However, it will be better of you find one before going for the surgery. Your physical therapist will suggest you some pre-surgery exercises too to strengthen the muscles around your knee. He might also recommend you to stay active and continue with your routine activities. The real role of a physical therapist begins after the surgery and after your surgeon has given you a thumbs up.
After post-surgery healing, you can start your intensive physical therapy procedures. It’s normal to experience a bit of discomfort and stiffness in the initial stages, but they will go away eventually as you progress ahead. It’s important to note that the primary purpose of the PT program is to strengthen your hip, thigh, and calf muscles. Your therapist will also suggest some at-home exercise, and it would be better if you follow them religiously.
- Stay active: Almost all the doctors suggest that staying active doubles up the pace of the post-surgery recovery process. Some of the best hospitals for knee replacement surgery in India also suggest active fitness programs for their patients.
Some general tips:
- Keep your body weight in a healthy range and don’t consume fat and oil-based food.
- Always wear well-fitting footwear.
- Sincerely follow your exercise routines.
- Don’t overstress your body and avoid lifting heavy weights for some time.
- Get yourself sufficient rest.
Recovery after a knee replacement surgery largely differs from person to person but it also depends upon the kind of care and routine that the person follows after getting discharged from the hospital.