Going gluten-free is not mandatory for people to have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Anyone, irrespective of their age and gender can reap its benefits tremendous to have a disease-free life. But, it is always good to start a new diet chart only after consulting with your doctor as eliminating certain grains from the diet may cause nutritional deficiency or disorders. This is because grains are fully loaded with vitamins, minerals, fibres and proteins. So, before you plan to include or exclude the grains completely from the diet, let’s read the article and understand its benefits and drawbacks of following a gluten-free diet.
Benefits of a gluten-free diet:
The following are the health benefits of a gluten-free diet:
- The gluten-free diet can reduce the inflammation that is occurring throughout the body.
- Improves digestive health, reduces bloating, stomach cramps, constipation, and flatulence
- Increases both your mental and physical energy levels
- Helps in weight loss
- Strengthens your body’s immunity and helps to fight against diseases.
- A gluten-free diet helps to relieve from celiac disease
- Reduces joint pains, headaches, and migraines
- Individuals spend more time reading the labels and are more conscious about the type of including gluten-free products in the diet.
Drawbacks of going gluten-free:
Though there are numerous benefits of having a gluten-free diet, yet it can also bring a lot of health issues if grains are fully excluded from the diet. This is because:
- Individuals are not fully aware of the nutrients present in the grain. Not all carbohydrate-rich foods contain gluten. So, know the products that contain gluten before excluding from the diet completely.
- Lack of fibre can cause digestive issues
- The gluten-free diet is rich in sugar and fat, hence, increased use of gluten-rich foods can lead to weight gain
- You may eliminate too many gluten foods from the diet thinking about the negative impact that can put on you. This may cause nutritional deficiency and even allergies.
- Many nutrients such as iron, thiamine, folate, niacin, phosphorous, vitamin B12, zinc, and riboflavin may be stripped away totally from the body if the grain or product is not included in the diet.
- The gluten-free foods may come with a more expensive price tag.
Who should follow a gluten-free diet?
Gluten-free diet may have special benefits in individuals with the following medical conditions:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac disease
- Inflammatory diseases
- Autoimmune disease
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, consult your healthcare provider immediately. If you are already on medication to treat headache, diarrhoea or constipation, then, order your prescribed medicines from the genuine online medicine site and get amazing discounts on all medicines and products.
List of gluten-free foods:
Here, we have listed out a few foods that can be included as part of your diet and those include:
- Seeds and nuts
- Brown rice
- Amaranth seeds
- Include all veggies and fruits
Foods that contain gluten:
Here are the lists of foods that contain gluten:
- Malt based foods
- The wheat of all varieties
- Malted based drinks
- Wheat-based soy sauce
The gluten-free meals are a trend followed by many individuals who are more focused to shed their weight and wish to make lifestyle modifications. Yes! The gluten-free diet grabbed attention among the weight watchers. It’s good to be on the track of a gluten-free diet only if you are dealing with the medical condition such as gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.
But, if you are in a need to follow a gluten-free diet then ensure to take a balanced diet including more of veggies, fibrous rich foods, dairy products, oils, eggs, meat, fish, grains, and legumes. Before framing a gluten-free diet plan of your own, speak to your dietician and gastroenterologist and check whether you are sensitive to gluten products. If you notice, any symptoms after consuming foods that contain gluten see your healthcare provider immediately. Some tests may be recommended by your physician to check whether you are at the risk of developing the disease. If medicines are prescribed to ease the symptoms like gastrointestinal disorders, swelling or inflammation, order the medications from the online medicine companies in India and get them delivered at your doorstep.